Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Chicago Scam or Nigerian?

I guess we are all getting used to email scams but here is one I got and several people I have talked to around the country also got. I found out today my good friend, Robin, also got it. It started as an email from someone saying they were in Chicago and wanted to buy a painting. Please quote a price. So I felt sure it was a scam just by how it was written but I answered back giving a price and saying I only accepted payment by Pay Pal. I got an immediate answer saying they wanted the painting, he was leaving the country for London on his honeymoon and his client would send a check and please furnish the following info. Name, address, etc. I just answered back that I would only accept Pay Pal and that was the end of it.
Robin felt the same way. She got the same email. She quoted price but that was all. She got the same email back that I did. So she went ahead and had him send the check and she went to her bank to see what she should do. The check came today by UPS special express. I went with her to pick it up and took it to the bank. The check was double the asking amount. It was on a Wells Fargo Bank. The lady at the bank phoned a neighboring Wells Fargo Bank. The tracking number and account number were legit. Drawn on a College in Southern Calif. But it all looked wrong. For one thing no College logo or address. So she faxed a copy to the Wells Fargo and they checked signature. No such signature so a for sure forgery. We took it to the Police Dept who took all the info and a copy of the check. Robin is still bound that she is going to get this guy. I really doubt that but he at least didn’t take us. She is waiting to see what he says about the extra money. I just hope everyone is very careful about emails wanting to buy or giving you something.

No comments: